Monday, December 07, 2015

A couple days later....

The smoke has cleared, a couple of days have passed and people, myself included are still trying to come to terms with the San Bernardino massacre. I feel everything at the moment. I feel such pain for the people of San Bernardino. I feel horrible for the families of those who lost their lives, one of whom, I've now found out is a relative of one of my friends. and I feel for those who witnessed the events.

I feel sad about the futility of what the attackers did. I feel angry at them, of course.

And I fear for the future. I'm wondering what sort of nasty backlash this will open up on Muslims in the US and I await the horrific parade of gun horrors sure to come because of lack of gun restrictions.

I'm wondering who was the driving force among the two shooters in San Bernardino. From an interview with Syed Farook's sister, she sounds genuinely at a loss for what could have led her brother to do this. Syed Farook's brother-in-law also said he was not a radical.

It definitely sounds to me as though Farook was turned by his wife who was raised by an adherent to the conservative Deobandi sect of Islam leading to a split between her father and his family. She also attended a conservative school in Pakistan where she and her religious beliefs became more mysterious to her family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home